At Westside Medical Centre we have a number of doctors with a keen interest in travel medicine who have completed further training. We love to be made jealous by your travel plans and to help you plan a safe trip that is memorable for all the right reasons.
People are travelling in record numbers, and to more exotic and interesting places all the time. This includes many older people, who may have a number of ongoing health issues to consider.
We recommend a travel medicine consult for anyone planning an overseas trip, no matter what the destination, particularly if you’re on regular medication or have had a number of health problems in the past. If you’re travelling for more than 30 days, we can arrange to have extra medication dispensed to ensure you don’t run out whilst away. Even if you’re only flying over the ditch to New Zealand, there are things to consider – are your flu and tetanus immunisations up to date?
A good travel medicine consult is about a lot more than just immunisations, and our doctors will assess your travel medicine needs in a comprehensive way, considering
- Travel immunisations
- Malaria prevention
- Avoidance of other infectious diseases
- What a traveller’s first aid kit should look like
- Managing your regular medications whilst away
- Safety and security whilst overseas
- Travel insurance
- What to do if something goes wrong
If you’d like to do a little more reading to ensure you’re planning a safe as well as fun trip, we recommend the websites below.
- Australian Government Smart Traveller (great for up to date safety and security information) www.smarttraveller.gov.au
- United States Centre for Disease Control (great for consumer information about diseases you may be at risk of whilst travelling) http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list/
Have a look at the map below for all the weird and wonderful places our staff have visited over the years!